Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pumpkin

One great thing about living where I live is that in the fall, pumpkins are very easy to find and prepare. If I had easy and affordable access to a can of Libby's pumpkin I would have never come across how easy it is to cook pumpkins.  Of course, I would totally use canned pumpkin if there was consistent, convenient, affordable access but alas, I do not.

Until then, I will enjoy the simplicity and excitement of making my own. Over here, the pumpkins aren't round like in the States, but elongated.  I go to our fruit and veggie market, affectionately known as "The Bar"** and buy a inch wide slice for literally 16 cents.  Not too shabby.

Peel the outside.  Cut or scrap out the inside.

Cut into chunks and steam (covered) for 6-8 minutes, or until a fork can easily go in.

Then mash and Voila!  You have pumpkin ready to be made into baby food or a pie or pumpkin bread or my almost famous "Autumn Applesauce".  (I recently found what's now my favorite pumpkin bread recipe - go to allrecipes.com and search Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread. It's awesome!)

Pumpkin is so easily available, I even found some on the roof of the building across the way!  I was washing dishes one day, looked out the window to find pumpkin!  It's everywhere!

Here's a closer look!
(I guess the owner of this "garden" forgot to bring in the harvest, these pumpkins aren't looking so good anymore!)



** The Bar's actual name is "The Romantic Feeling Bar".  I found out later that it's just a bad translation of something that would be considered normal over here.  Either way, the name cracks us up.  We love having it so close, it's literally a 5 min walk from our front door.  It's part produce market, part zoo. I'll post more pictures of The Bar later!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm I love pumpkin too. I just want the cool weather to come soon!

    ReplyDelete